Sunday, April 15, 2012

Bakinglove: Fall in love Biscuits

I am a professional Baker. In the course of my work, I produce biscuits for every morning's breakfast service. I can do them in my sleep, but try not to since it would really mess up my sheets.

Here is the recipe:

3 lbs self-rising flour (this translates into roughly 12 cups)
2 TBSP kosher salt
3 TBSP baking powder
1 lb (4 conventional sticks) of cold unsalted butter (if you don't want to use unsalted, just cut the salt quantity in half)
4 c. whole fat buttermilk

Preheat your oven -see temps below.

Combine the dry ingredients and cut in the butter until the butter is roughly the size of green peas.
Add the liquid and stir to combine.

Dump this onto your floured surface. Using a bench scraper, fold the mass together over and over- until most of the buttermilk is incorporated. Many recipes call this "kneading", but I find that too much kneading leads to tough biscuits.

Sprinkle the top of the resulting lump with some flour and pat down with your hands- there is no need to dirty a rolling pin for this step. You want to pat it down to about 1- 1 1/2" thick. Cut the biscuits to your desired shape and place on a sheet pan lined with parchement paper or sprayed with pan spray. Bake at 400 degrees in a conventional oven or 365 convection.

No comments:

Post a Comment